As we get older, it is possible to “throw out your back” with a quick, sudden movement. If this has recently happened to you, first understand that this is normal. Through physical therapy, it is not only possible to relieve this pain but also strengthen the back to decrease the chances that this will happen again.
“Throwing out your back” means acute back pain experienced while doing an activity that leaves your back stiff and unable to reach it's full mobility. From this point, you may not be able to do further activities without having tremendous pain.
Back Pain Treatment
Before heading into physical therapy, there are a few things that you can do.
- Rest - Find a spot on the floor, where you can lay down flat on your stomach. Place your hands gently by your side. This position allows your back muscles to gently relax, loosening some of the back’s current tightness. It is better to be on a hard surface rather than a cushy one like a bed. You can place a rolled up towel under your forehead to rest your head.
- Anti-inflammatories - These will help provide some pain relief while your back muscles relax.
- Icing - During the first 24 to 48 hours while you are experiencing acute back pain, apply ice often, once every 3-4 hours. Then once you are over the acute stage of the back pain, you can switch to heat.
- Massage - Getting a soothing massage can loosen up the back muscles that are causing you pain but make sure your masseuse is aware of your current condition and works toward gently loosening up the muscles.
- Strengthen and Stretch - This is where we come in at Cross Bay Physical Therapy - By applying exercise to strengthen the back muscles and simultaneously stretching them, we are creating an environment where your back is strong enough to handle more activity than what you were previously capable of. This should provide a protective mechanism for when you need to do a “little extra” work.
At Cross Bay Physical Therapy, our howard beach physical therapists provide a routine of ice, heat, electric stimulation, and massage along with exercise. In this way, at physical therapy, you are getting all the care that you need to heal back pain.
Cross Bay Physical Therapy is located in Howard Beach, Queens. As Howard Beach Physical Therapy, we have been a staple in this neighborhood for over 30 years. Our state of the art facility has more than enough equipment to make sure your back becomes strong and agile preventing such problems from occurring in the future.
Call 718-835-0084 and schedule your evaluation now! Although this happened once, it doesn’t need to happen again!
By Benjamin Bieber